Skip to main content

Hulk Hogan: Getting Caught Saying N-Word Was the Best Thing to Ever Happen to Me, and Rappers Shouldn’t Use It if I Can’t


The world’s smallest violin is playing as the wrestler tries to gain sympathy for getting caught using the n-word.
Posted: 
 
screen_shot_20150831_at_2
Hulk Hogan
YOUTUBE SCREENSHOT
Hulk Hogan is on a redemption spree. He's trying to redeem himself after beingcaught on tape having an n-word tirade about black people.
During an appearance on Monday's Good Morning America, Hogan stated to ABC News' Amy Robach, "I'm not a racist. I never should have said that. It was wrong."
If you recall, Hogan admitted on the sex tape, which is currently part of a Gawker Media lawsuit, that he was indeed “a little racist.” Boy, have times changed, especially when your longtime employer, WWE, gives you the boot from the top turnbuckle.
Hogan said at the time of the recording, in 2012, that he was suicidal. Does finding out that your daughter's boyfriend may be a broke black man make you suicidal? Who knows. During the making of the sex tape, Hogan's rant about the possible black boyfriend went a little something like this: "I mean, I'd rather if she was going to f--k some n--ger, I'd rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n--ger worth $100 million! Like a basketball player! I guess we're all a little racist. F--king n--ger."
Oh, that definitely doesn't sound racist.
But what do you expect from someone who says he's a product of his environment?
"I'm not a racist, but I never should have said what I said. It was wrong. I'm embarrassed by it," he said on Good Morning America, adding, "People need to realize that you inherit things from your environment. And where I grew up was south Tampa, Port Tampa, and it was a really rough neighborhood, very low income. And all my friends, we greeted each other saying that word."
Hogan thinks the world would be a better place if all people, including black people, just stopped saying the horrible word. He also says the worst day of his life was actually the best.
"I thought, 'You know what? This is going to be the greatest day of my life,' as crazy as that sounds."
"Why would it be the greatest day of your life?" Robach asked.
"So this can become the greatest day in my life if people understand there can't be double standards," he said. "And you just can't use the word. Let's take it out of the dictionary. Let's not use it in rap songs or movies. I mean, if it's unacceptable, it's unacceptable.
"If everybody at their lowest point was judged on one thing they said—and let's just say in high school, you may have said one bad thing, and all of a sudden your whole career was wiped out today because of something you said 10 or 20 years ago—it'd be a sad world. People get better every day. People get better.”
Oh, but wait. Hogan, you weren't in high school.
This wasn't 10 or 20 years ago. You got caught. Excuse me for not believing the word hasn't slipped from your lips since then.
All of your little Hulkamaniacs got to see exactly what you're made of. And for the record, who talks like that in the middle of sex? Gross.
For more of black Twitter, check out The Chatterati on The Root and follow The Chatterati on Twitter.
Yesha Callahan is editor of The Grapevine and a staff writer at The Root. Follow her on Twitter.

Comments